Are You Looking For Something?

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Understanding Vitiligo


Photo Credit: Univ. of Iowa (Dermatology)

Vitiligo is a chronic disorder that causes depigmentation in patches of skin. It occurs when the melanocytes, the cells responsible for skin pigmentation which are derived from the neural crest, die or are unable to function. The precise pathogenesis, or cause, of vitiligo is complex and not yet fully understood. There is some evidence suggesting it is caused by a combination of autoimmune, genetic, and environmental factors. It is also common in people with thyroid disorders. The population incidence worldwide is considered to be less than 1 percent. Non-segmental vitiligo has a greater prevalence than the disorder's other form(s).

Signs & Symptoms
The most notable symptom of vitiligo is depigmentation of patches of skin that occurs on the extremities. Although patches are initially small, they often enlarge and change shape. When skin lesions occur, they are most prominent on the face, hands and wrists. Depigmentation is particularly noticeable around body orifices, such as the mouth, eyes, nostrils, genitalia and umbilicus. Some lesions have hyperpigmentation around the edges. Vitiligo is similar in appearance to leprosy, and as such (in countries where leprosy is prevalent), individuals with vitiligo can be stigmatized for the similarities in appearance. In regards to psychological damage, vitiligo can have a significant effect on the mental health of a patient. Psychological stress may even result in an individual becoming more susceptible to vitiligo. Patients who are stigmatised for their condition may experience depression and similar mood disorders.

Non-Segmental Vitiligo
In Non-segmental vitiligo (NSV), there is usually some form of symmetry in the location of the patches of depigmentation. New patches also appear over time, and can be generalised over large portions of the body, or localised to a particular area. Vitiligo where little pigmented skin remains is referred to as vitiligo universalis. NSV can come about at any age, unlike segmental vitiligo which is far more prevalent in teenage years.

Segmental Vitiligo
Segmental vitiligo (SV) differs in appearance, aetiology and prevalence of associated illnesses. Its treatment is also different to that of NSV. It tends to affect areas of skin that are associated with dorsal roots from the spine. It spreads much more rapidly than NSV and, without treatment, patches of depigmented skin remain throughout life.




Many people use Dermablend to conceal this condition.

Photo Credit (dermablend.com)

Source of research
Credit
wikipedia.org

Find Corrective Makeup @

http://www.dermablend.com

2 comments:

  1. Wow! I learned something today! I knew about Vitiligo however, I never knew that it could cause a COMPLETE discoloration of the skin. I was under the impression that it was a condition that was recognized in spots. Rare indeed, 3% of the entire world....wow!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, right? I felt for that young lady in the video.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are encouraged and welcome. However, please do not leave any profanity in your comments or any links to your website or blog.
Comments containing links will be marked as SPAM and deleted.
Please be respectful.

Thank you for taking the time to visit and view my blog.
It means a lot when you give me feed back and let me know what you think.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Disclosure

To date, I am NOT compensated for my use/review of products. I buy 99% of the products that I use. If I ever receive anything as a gift, I will state it in that specific post. I am NOT affilated with any fashion, cosmetics or hair company. I offer my sincere, unbiased opinion on how the products work for me. No warranties, expressed or implied are intended. Please use discretion in selecting products and suggestions at your own risk. I am not a professional. Unfavorable reviews are not malcious, nor are they intended to harm any company. Reviews are my own opinon. Information posted on this blog is for educational purposes.